Who is being vaccinated?
- All persons aged 50 and above.
What vaccines are available in general practice?
- Astra Zeneca:
- This is the only vaccine available to GP’s at the moment.
- It can be stored in a normal fridge
- The vaccine is delivered in ampoules of 10 doses. This means that the practice will attempt to immunise in groups of 10.
- Pfizer and Moderna vaccines:
- These are not available to GP’s.
- One reason is that they need storage at minus 70 degrees Celsius. Such technology is not available to GP’s.
Is Astra Zeneca dangerous?
- There are rare cases of abnormal clotting.
- In Australia to the above date there have been 22 cases and one fatality.
- This represents one death in over 2 million injections.
- The benefits of being immunised VASTLY outweigh the risks.
Is the vaccine effective.
- Remember this simple statement.
- All vaccines in use in Australia provide almost 100% protection from serious illness, hospital admission and death.